PharmaGABA 60 Chewables
PharmaGABA™ is naturally-sourced, bioidentical GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid). It is made via a process where the amino acid glutamic acid (glutamate) is fermented using Lactobacillus hilgardii, the beneficial bacteria also used to ferment many foods including the vegetables in kimchi, the national dish of Korea. PharmaGABA™ provides 200 mg of GABA per serving (two tablets). Its chewable tablet delivery allows for rapid and efficient absorption and assimilation. As a result, benefits are felt very quickly.
What is GABA?
GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a naturally occurring amino acid in the brain and is a major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system (CNS). Being an inhibitory neurotransmitter, GABA blocks nerve impulses, slowing down the activity of nerve cells and preventing them from over-firing. Frequent over-firing of brain cells can lead to cell death, meaning that stress can actually kill brain cells. Keeping GABA levels optimal can help prevent this. Thus, GABA serves as a critical calming agent for the body, helping to combat stress and anxiety.
The brain synthesizes GABA from glutamate, an excitatory neurotransmitter. These two neurotransmitters work together in a beautifully orchestrated system of checks and balances. Neurotransmitters are the brain’s basic components of communication, and when there is a breakdown in this communication system, brain function becomes affected. In stressful situations, GABA levels in the body can decrease, and this delicate system becomes out of balance. In a study on humans, prefrontal brain GABA levels decreased by 18% after acute psychological stress, specifically threat of shock (Hasler, G, et al, Am J Psychiatry, 2010). Thus, supplementation with PharmaGABA™, a natural, bioidentical GABA, may be of benefit in helping to cope with stressful situations, whether they arise from daily or extreme stress.
PharmaGABA™ may be helpful for*
* Cravings and Addictions (such as drugs, alcohol)
* Cigarette smokers who are trying to quit - may help decrease addiction-associated anxiety
* Immune Function – helping to combat stress’s impact on immunosupression
* Focus, Mental Clarity, Concentration – beneficial in academics, for improving learning capacity
* Sports Performance – an increase in the ability to relax and focus may lead to a greater level of concentration on performance and may help reduce pre-competition nervousness
* Sleep – may help reduce stress-induced insomnia